You have to start somewhere and I began this journey a few years back. I have done very well with some of the things I set out to change, but I need improvement on others. Here you will find my list and I encourage you to start your own. It takes a lot of drops to fill a bucket and any contribution you make will help the bigger cause.
1. Use no plastic bags – use only canvas, reusable shopping bags
2. Drink water from a glass or stainless steel bottle – avoid plastic water bottles at all costs
3. Carry reusable travel cup for coffee
4. No High Fructose Corn Syrup – No Exceptions!
5. Use reusable containers for food storage and taking lunch to work
6. Buy fruits and vegetables that are in season and that are grown in CA
7. Buy ethically and humanely raised meat and eggs – must be pasture raised
8. Shop for 50% of food at Farmer’s Market and avoid anything in a package
9. Eliminate 25% of my “stuff” – Donate to charity. If it has not been used in 6 months, donate it
10. Use no Styrofoam products
11. Reduce trash by avoiding packaged products
12. Eat out less – target goal 75% of food consumed should be cooked at home when not traveling for work
13. Reduce purchases of anything new to 2 items per month – clothing, shoes, accessories
14. Return egg cartons to farmers market
15. Buy milk and crème in glass bottles that can be returned and reused
16. Purchase recycled paper products – toilet paper, tissues
17. Use cloth napkins and towels whenever possible
18. Use natural cleaning products – enzyme and citrus based
19. Do not buy foods with ingredients I cannot pronounce or identify
20. Volunteer for sustainable food charity that promotes healthy, natural food choices for children
Words of advice…Start small so you feel a sense of accomplishment early on. The more you feel you are succeeding, the more you will want to do. Convert a few friends. Doing the right thing is contagious and it feels great. Celebrate even the smallest victories. Drink a beautiful Craft Beer in honor of your accomplishment.
Life is short-make a difference!